2007年7月8日日曜日

1. How do you choose a child's given name in your family?

The son of the son has been given the name 'Joseph' for the last few generations. I'm not positive--off the top of my head--when it started, but I know that my cousin, his father, my Pop, and Pop's father have all been named Joseph (Anthony and Thomas alternating) McMahon. Otherwise, we're just named by whatever the parents like the sound of. My Mommy was going to name me Jennifer (Ugh!), but when she saw me, she decided I looked like an Alison.

Of all of us in my family, I am the only one who really cares about the meanings behind names. My full name is Alison Mary Dowling. Alison means 'truthful,' and Mary means 'bitter(s)'. If you put them together, the meaning is approximately 'blunt.' I defnitely think that that name suits me. However...Honestly, I'm just as comfortable with the name I use online, Azamiko. Both Azamiko and Alison feel like my names.

Oh, and since I was raised more by the McMahon's than the Dowlings, I've considered adding or changing my name to include the former.

I don't really plan on having kids, but if I do, I will plan their names carefully. I've already decided that if I ever get a girl--through birth or adoption--her name will be Byrne. That is my Nanny's maiden name, Annie Mamie Byrne. She's called 'Mamie.' Funnily enough, my great-aunt is named Jessie Owen, but is called 'Violet.' I don't know why exactly...

One thing that kind of irritates me is that my cousin Kate (Katherine) has the same middle name as me, Mary. We were only born a year apart, and even in the same hospital! How boring!

Another strange thing is that my Mom's boyfriend's oldest son has the same first and middle names as my brother--even though one is mostly Irish and the other is mostly Italian. Plus, the other Matt is the same age as I.

3. Does your given name or your family name mean anything?

Oh...I already explained this above. I'm not too clear on 'Dowling,' but McMahon means 'son of man.' (And yes, I realize that it's not my actual name, but we've always been more McMahons, not Dowlings.)

7. How do you know if names are boy's names, girls' names, or both?

I guess. It's pretty much impossible to tell in English, though there are a few name endings like 'ette.' I can't think of anyone who has a name that uses one...

1 件のコメント:

HJU Teacher さんのコメント...

Very interesting posting. I hope all of the students get to read your blog. Good job! Susan Mary M.